Wednesday 21 October 2015

Nottingham and York



Well since last I wrote I have visited Nottingham and tonight is my last night in York. Travelled up to Nottingham from King's Lynn on Saturday and it was lovely to see my school friend Heather Toovey again. We walked from the bus station and stopped for tea near the city centre. We then went to a pub for dinner with Heather's boyfriend Tom. Heather whipped up all sorts of yummy things for a braai on Sunday at her parents' and my friend Delfina and her boyfriend George drove up from Milton Keynes. I haven't seen Heather since 2008 and her folks since they left Zimbabwe in 2009. We watched some of the Rugby World Cup and I learnt a bit more from George and Delfina on the intricacies of the game. Really was great to see them all.

Nottingham

Nottingham



On Monday morning I walked around the centre of Nottingham for a bit and had a cappuccino at Costas before heading north via Leeds to York. My phone map app didn't work but got a hard copy map from the train station and made my way to a friend of Jessie's who I was to stay with who had the key for Jessie's flat. Jessie is a doctor and was on a shift outside of York but had arranged for her friend to give me her flat key. I left my bags in Jessie's flat and then went exploring. Went along the Shambles and wound my way to York Minster and then to the York Art Gallery and Petergate. Caught up with Jessie when she got home and we planned the next day's trip. We hired a car (a hybrid electric/normal car) and went to the North Yorkshire Moors. We used the sat nav but got as far as Osmotherly. We thought that was the car park we were looking for but then got directions to go back and further on. We found where we were looking for and hiked up along the Cleveland Route. Had great views out to the dales. It was a little uphill and Jessie was very forbearing as she is a lot fitter than I am. When we reached the summit of the hill we were climbing we had a picnic looking out across the heather and countryside. We even had some sunshine. On the way back we got a little disorientated but Jessie steered us back and we found the car park. Along the way we saw three runaway sheep and a dead one.

York


Osmotherley

North Yorkshire Moors

Back in York we went for dinner with Jessie's friends as it was her birthday. The friend hosting lives in a National Trust Tudor house not far from Jessie and we had a scrumptious roast lamb. Today it turned out to be sunny too despite predictions of rain. On our way to York Minster I turned the corner and bumped into Miranda Prendergast and her little boy. Miranda and I were at school together. Such a small world and what are the chances. Didn't know Miranda had just moved to York.

Jessie and I then went round the inside of York Minster and climbed up the tower - again Jessie was very patient with my less fit self. The last few stairs were quite torturous and seemed to go on for ever - they weren't kidding when they said you might feel claustrophobic and I felt the 276 steps. Under the church they had the original foundations and history of the Romans and Vikings. My history is a little out I thought the Vikings were before the Romans - my bad.

York Minster

York Minster


This afternoon we went to St Mary's Abbey ruins in the Museum Gardens and then wandered down Davygate past Bettys Cafe and Tea Rooms chocolate shop. We then walked along the River Ouse and saw lots of autumnal trees.

St Mary's Abbey


River Ouse, York



Tomorrow I head back to Oxford.

No comments:

Post a Comment