Thursday 29 October 2015

London, Forest of Dean, Oxford & Reading

Down to my last day and a bit in England. Got back this evening from a day with cousins in Reading. Met my cousin Julia's three year old Alex and then month old Sophie which was special and it was lovely to see them all again. Last time I saw most of them was at Julia's wedding 7 years ago but I have seen Julia and George in Rome since then before they had children.





After returning from York I went to London the following day from Oxford to meet up with my sister Beth and her boyfriend Andrew. Had only otherwise met Andrew briefly when I first arrived so it was nice to get to know him a bit more. We explored the perimeter of Kew Gardens and enjoyed all the autumnal trees as well as the hot houses. We nearly had our lunch taken by the Canadian geese. We then caught the underground to Trafalgar Square and the British Art Gallery where we went round the Impressionists. Was special to see Monet, van Gough's sunflowers and Renoir in particular. Thanks for the recommendation Heather! Was amazing that it was free entry. We then walked to Covent Garden and Beth treated me to Romeo and Juliet by the Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House. We were right up in the auditorium - more stairs. The costumes were all in rich autumn colours and I loved the full orchestra playing Prokofiev - I do enjoy that music.





Managed to catch the underground in time but the bus was really late. On getting on it turned out the driver was Zimbabwean and I thought typical but it actually wasn't his fault - there seemed to be a big accident on the motorway which had us sit for two hours. Meant I only got home at 2.30 in the morning and I had to then be up at 6.30 to get to the bus for the Forest of Dean to see my friend Alix and her parents. Although the trip to Gloucester should only take an hour I had to go via Leamington Spa on the way and then Bristol on the way back. Was a little worried getting off the bus in Leamington Spa that I was at a different bus stop to the one I needed to be at next but luckily it was the same. It was super to see Alix and her Mum and Dad. Went for a walk with Alix along the Wye River and we went to Ross-on-Wye on the way to Gloucester the next day.



Back in Oxford I went with Sarah who I'm staying with to the Botanical Gardens, met up with my friends Bronwyn, Lauren and Jaimie who are studying at the university and went to an exhibition at the Ashmolean Museum of Titian and some of his contemporaries. Lots of detailed studies in ink, chalk and charcoal and then an interpretive piece by a modern artist following their style. We also found the Egyptian artefact section with some amazing mummies and other things. Will have to try go to the Pitt Rivers Museum next time. Have had it recommended. Went to the movie Suffragette at the Odeon which was good. Had remembered that Switzerland only gave women the vote in the 1970s.






Well the next time you hear from me will probably be from back in Zim electricity supply permitting. It might be a bit of a reverse cultural shock returning. Am looking forward to seeing my dogs and to thunderstorms (and my Mum and friends). Will see if I may save up to come teach scientific English next summer. Will in the meantime look into maybe working with the Cecil the lion research group in Zim. On the bus to Headington tonight chatted to a lady who is a lecturer at Oxford in law and ethics. She was suggesting I look at work done in California on wetlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment