Thursday 19 July 2018

End of term is in sight



Well I got to school today and there was talk that the Ministry of Education had announced on local tv last night that schools were to close tomorrow as they need more time to prepare government schools as polling stations - ridiculous - they can't tell us the day before! Especially for boarding schools and it totally messes up things for exam classes even further.

It has been a bit of an emotional week seeing parents. Had one mother in tears yesterday. Tomorrow we hear if our grade sevens have got into the high schools they have applied for. The mother in tears is at her wits end with what to do if her son doesn't get accepted. I ended up doing NILD with him at break today as my usual guinea pig was absent. He really enjoyed it and told his classmates about it and now they all want their own individual sessions with me and said if my usual student is absent again please can they go in his place. Wish they were this eager for everything else.



We had one little girl in grade one who is quite bossy pretending to be a teacher to the other students at break. She had a whole lot of the grade ones and twos complying and happily lining up for her and putting their fingers on their lips. They don't necessarily do this for assembly when it's real school. If she could get my grade sevens to do this she should have my job. Today one of the boys with autism was charging past the teachers saying he was Superman and he was "rescuing" other children. Never a dull moment.



I have two more weekends of the NILD online component. Next week I have a big essay but luckily I finish school on Wednesday. My Chinese five year old is back in Zimbabwe. Will see him on Saturday. Looking forward to it. Having a braai Saturday evening where I am house sitting. Think I am going to need to make gluhwein as it is still pretty cold. Off to Nyanga in the middle of the holidays and might go camping. A friend from Germany will be staying with me from Sunday for a week.

OK I must finish marking and prep for tomorrow and then hit NILD. Looking at reading difficulties this week and using dictation and phonics, along with moving alphabets.




No comments:

Post a Comment