Friday 13 July 2018

No gas = no coffee = life is hard



Phew, it is finally Friday. I am not getting too excited though, as next week is going to be my toughest one yet, with parent consultations every day, a full day's teaching and marking AND NILD! Eeeeeek. When you see smoke from Highlands, it's me combusting!

We ran out of gas for the gas ring this morning and there was no coffee until break time - NO!!!!!!!!! It was hard, very hard. The one teacher said she might just have to go home - I thought she meant because there was no coffee - didn't think it was quite that bad, but it was close. She meant to go get another gas cylinder. I did laugh!



Got a demo of a technique for NILD at break from one of the other staff and it cleared what I was struggling with. Was so grateful as I just wasn't grasping how to sequence the steps from what was given and what exactly was being referred to. I was feeling very stupid and defeated. Beginning to think I have all the learning difficulties we are covering. Reading is definitely not my strong point.

Staff tea was a success thanks to a friend giving me two really easy recipes. One for a sort of fridge cake made from cornflakes, ginger, chocolate, dates and I added apricots. Then the other for pastry-less quiches. Nothing was left - a good sign.

After break I got my class to have a quiz. They had had to come up with questions this week to ask each other. I was impressed by some of their questions. There were predictably a lot on dinosaurs - given I have 12 boys and 2 girls, not surprising. One boy asked where 20% of the world's oxygen goes. He actually meant where it comes from, which is the Amazon, but was a good question. Two boys wanted to ask WWII questions. I'm afraid I will have to do some history I think. Apparently Hitler was alive in 1843 and was Dutch according to my class and Austria is in Australia (geography too, Kilimanjaro being the highest mountain in Europe!)

This weekend is going to be marking, reports, preparing for next week and NILD. I am selling tickets at the door at Amanzi tomorrow though for Will McNicol and going to listen to that (my mini break, then back to the grind).


No comments:

Post a Comment