Monday 22 June 2020

Back to 'normal' tomorrow



It is still quite bitter outside and very overcast. Apparently it's going to be like this for a week and then hopefully get warmer but I've heard you can't predict more than four days ahead with the weather. Tomorrow morning we'll be back to the early morning pick up and drop off at school and I will do Zoom lessons again. This afternoon at lunchtime I had my Chinese five year olds on WeChat. They are a lot more talkative and we are making some progress. Have done Le Petit Chaperone Rouge, La Belle et La Bête, Le Bonhomme de Pain d'épice and La Reine des Neiges with them. They hadn't come across these stories before. We also played a French version of Simon dit (Simon says) which they enjoy.



Just had a lovely long chat on Whatsapp with my good friend Heather and saw her gorgeous little boy who is doing so well. Said I would try look out for a copy of the Jacqui Taylor African ABC for Louis. Jacqui does amazing water colour illustrations that capture a lot of things from growing up in Zimbabwe.





A fifth death from Corona was reported in Gweru yesterday. People are wondering if there will be a sudden spike with it being cold. At the moment a lot of doctors and nurses are on strike so I don't know how many government hospitals are fully in operation. Besides COVID the country really is in quite a pickle, with hyper inflation happening again, human rights abuses and corruption at the top. Things are starting to open again but I think people are being a bit gung ho and not being that careful. If we do get a major outbreak of Corona, our health facilities really aren't going to cope with it. The choir I belong to wants to practise in smaller groups. Still a fair few of us. Will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment