Saturday 20 June 2020

Of masks and whether to Skype, Whatsapp call, Zoom or Google Meet



I am enjoying my half term break. As I said in my previous post, this could be the only break for a very long time, if schools go back on the 28th of July and we have been going since the 4th of May, so I am making the most of this. Although I get days that aren't so pressurised with remote teaching, the days books are returned are long and there is a lot of extra prep you have to do. Any way, today I met up with a friend at a new market at the Borrowdale Race Course. It was good to see my friend and walk around but I was a little taken aback by how lax some people were about wearing masks and it was quite a big social gathering. While the idea and concept is great, we are still in lock down and I think it is all a little risky. I think I will wait for lock down to be lifted before going back again. All the prices were in US dollars but you could pay in EcoCash but I don't have any so it was merely a window shopping experience. I wasn't too keen on buying food that was not covered in any way. Veggies and plants are one thing but pastries left uncovered with both the vendors and those in the public not wearing masks breathing all over was another. Rant over.



On the way home stopped at the gate of a friend's mum. We thought she might already have moved to Malta to be with my friend but she lost her husband at the beginning of lock down and is still here. She was having a frustrating day trying to tie up her husband's estate as everything is on go slow with lock down and she still hasn't got a death certificate.

Got some groceries and I ended up behind someone who paid for their trolley full of shopping with $2 bond notes. The bill must have been several thousand. It made me think of 2008 and really made me think are we back to those days? With the money they have supposedly printed we well may be.



Got home and ended up deciding on Whatsapp being the easiest to chat to my best friend Nina. She has rescued two baby doves but says they poop all the time and it's smellier than baby poo. Was lovely to catch up and touch base. Just watched an interesting piece of dance called The Revisor choreographed by Crystal Pite with my sister in the UK.

Nina's doves.


No comments:

Post a Comment