Saturday 27 June 2020

Hatina Ecocash


Yesterday the government in all their wisdom, decided to announce that Ecocash, a form of telephone banking, along with One Money and other mobile money services are immediately being stopped. This is crazy. A huge proportion of the population in Zim relies heavily on Ecocash as they do not have bank accounts and with there being hardly any cash being circulated and few people earning US dollars, this is a serious set back. We had just started having to pay our gardner with Ecocash yesterday, before the announcement. He wasn't happy as there are still charges on it, but we couldn't afford to pay him in US dollars any more. I am suddenly wondering how much longer I can keep affording to live here in Zimbabwe as my salary is going nowhere and the cost of living is just sky rocketing, it's scary. If I have to move it would probably be to the UK as my sister is there and I have lots of friends and family. I don't want to, but unless things really turn around here it might be that I have to. I don't know how the average person living on the supposed minimum wage (which is a pittance), is supposed to survive when I can't even meet all my bills on what I'm earning which is supposedly on the higher end of the income bracket.



On a happier note I went and had te-unch in my best friend's garden and it was so lovely to catch up and see each other. We exchanged books, talked lots and watched all sorts of birds flit in the branches and on the verandah. Was very special.

Spot the red fire finch.

Tea with friends is time worth spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment