Tuesday 30 June 2020

Une tornade, un monstre et un ours en peluche



(translated - a tornado, a monster and a teddy bear)

Today has been Zooms (that disconnected), Google Meets (as an alternative), WeChat and WhatsApp calls. I started off early with my one student to go over work from yesterday one on one online. We got cut off on Zoom halfway through conjunctions and prepositions and will have to resume on Thursday. I then had my grade 7's and was trying to revise a past maths paper with them for their upcoming entrance exams. We suddenly lost connectivity with that, well at least I did. I tried to get everyone to reconvene on Google Meets but only managed to get three out of seven. It was very amusing to hear that when I left the Zoom chat and the rest of my class were left on, pandemonium apparently broke out and it freaked them out that I was no longer the host or there. I did chuckle and was glad they missed me. Bodes well for the return to school. I did get from the three who made it to Google Meet which topics we will need to revise when we return to school. Quite a few things, and this was from some of my stronger students.

I managed to have my French lesson on WeChat for its entirety but my mum came charging through midway wanting me to go help with our dog Jasper. He had apparently found a hole in the fence to next door and gone to investigate the tree cutters and all the noise they've been making. Luckily he was so intent on that, he ignored our next door neighbour (he has torn her clothes before) and thankfully her dog was indoors as otherwise it could all have been quite disastrous. Fortunately the tree cutters were all up the tree too, as Jasper bites people. I was in the middle of my French lesson so waved my mum off but she managed to get him back into our yard and he has been confined to the veranda all afternoon until Given, our gardner returned and fixed the hole.



As something different, I played a story telling game with my Chinese French students. Basically we added on to a story I started and I provided the words in French. I struggled a bit with what teddy bear is in French but otherwise the story revolved around a monster and a tornado. They seemed to enjoy this. We had already played Simon Says in French. They are getting pretty good at parts of the body. They can already read English so tonight I need to try find some very simple stories in French.



This afternoon I managed to WhatsApp my friend Heather in the UK and chatted to her and saw her beautiful baby boy, Louis. Tomorrow is my art day. We are going to socially distanced paint in the late Daryl Nero's garden and try some of his techniques - dabbling with water colour, oil pastel and then a marker pen.




No comments:

Post a Comment