Wednesday 22 July 2015

Lithium Day 1



So have made the decision with my psych to start lithium and today is my first day on it. So far so good but I will have to go for blood tests every two weeks to check on toxicity levels (standard procedure). Here's hoping it stabilises me and I can not experience such big dips so frequently. Some of it is circumstantial and I have to bear that in mind but if medication can help would be great. I thankfully don't have to go into hospital and will be slowly weaned off what I have been on up until now. I have to drink lots of water as lithium is a salt and be mindful of eating healthily as it can make me put on weight like my other medication.



Have a applied for a couple of different jobs and nearly had a Chinese student for English everyday but the parents then balked at what I was charging which is a pretty standard amount and just $5 for petrol since I would have to drive across town. Oh well. Might still try do business cards to take to embassies (starting with the Chinese one). Would be good to use my CELTA properly. A friend suggested looking for CELTA work in Cape Town. Would love to but work visas are very hard to get as it is not a scarce skill. Had applied for an environmental job in Cape Town but you were supposed to have a South African work visa already.

Still thinking about a friend's point about my blog being too public. Have discussed it with my therapist and she still feels it is good for me to express myself and make my friends aware. There is a very interesting blog in South Africa which gets a number of people with bipolar to share on it. Have a look here. I enjoyed one of the bloggers who has her own blog called Blahpolar Diaries.

Also found it interesting to listen to Stephen Fry on bipolar.

From a Christian perspective a friend shared this link to a whole load of resources. Thanks Stan!

"It’s a spiritual or emotional fog that stubbornly clouds our hope and happiness. It might last for a couple hours, or for years. It might be brought on by a specific traumatic experience or a broken relationship, or it might be less traceable, more difficult to explain. Some cases are clinical and require special attention, but lots of others are just part of everyday life in a broken and failing world.
While many are lost to their depression — helplessly wandering in their own darkness — Christians have somewhere to turn, truths to rehearse until our hearts catch up with the faith in our minds. Not only did Christ save and deliver the broken-hearted, but he experiences all the pains and temptations we face and more. At the cross, he dove headfirst into the darkness, so that we might have eternal, unfading, always-increasing hope and happiness."




No comments:

Post a Comment