Thursday 30 July 2015

Once in a blue moon


Tonight there's a "blue moon" which is when there is a second blue moon in the same month. Apparently if you look to the left of the moon with a telescope you can see the Swan Nebula and if you do late night star gazing you'll see meteor showers. 



It's been a good week although I've had two of my students sick and their lessons cancelled which means I don't get paid. Have met up with friends though and been keeping busy which is good for me. I have also applied for several jobs. The one, teaching English at a private girls' school is sounding positive and they would welcome my CELTA qualification. Failing that my grade 7's parents have opted to home school her next year and want me to tutor her English, science, geography and history. 

There was an advert sent out by International House in Cape Town for another language school looking for CELTA teachers. Unfortunately I need to already be in Cape Town and in possession of a work visa. Got excited nonetheless. There is a job at Stellenbosch University that I am thinking about sending an application for. I had also been asked if I wanted to apply for the art teacher position at Lusitania School here in Harare, but it is miles away and I didn't quite feel I was up to the challenge of teaching art from grade 1 to 7.

As everyone is aware there is a storm of publicity over the Cecil the lion poaching. Am sure people are a little tired of it but if you want to make a difference to lion conservation in general across Africa here is a worthwhile organization to donate to - The African Wildlife Foundation. They do a lot of work with rural communities who live on the boundaries of national parks in protecting livestock so that lions aren't killed, as well as trying to maintain viable and ecologically functional populations of lions across Africa.



Meeting with the lady I met at Verandah Gallery tomorrow to talk about teaching with CELTA. Then hope to go and see Gareth Hook's exhibition at The Venue in Avondale.

Gareth Hook Exhibition

In home group we have been following the Networking Seminar and exploring our spiritual gifts, as well as what energises us and is our passion.



No comments:

Post a Comment