Friday 8 February 2019

Rather too many bodily fluids this week



My student that was sick everywhere on Wednesday didn't come to school yesterday. His mum said he told her, "But Miss Lannas would want me to be at school." Er, no, I didn't really want to wipe up more vomit and sanitise more books.

Well it turns out wiping up puke was not the only thing to gross me out this week. Got home last night and just before my mum and I went to bed, my mum suddenly called out from the bathroom, "oh my goodness, what is happening?" I first thought there was a snake but then she said she was bleeding and it was just gushing out. She told me to get cotton wool, so I fumbled around but then saw how much blood there was and told her a towel would be better. I was beginning to feel flustered and ever so slightly queasy. I really am not good with the sight of blood oozing out. It just didn't let up so I made the decision that we should get an ambulance as by now the floor was covered. I quickly looked up on my phone, the post I shared last year about ambulance services that have fuel to come collect you. Found one service but when I phoned they said it would take at least half an hour - I started to get a bit panicky, so phoned a second medic rescue. They said ten minutes. I tried to phone the first back to cancel but couldn't get through. Ten minutes passed and I was getting really anxious and told my mum I would drive her there. We had just got to the car when what I thought was the ten minute ambulance arrived. Actually transpired they were the half hour one and the ten minute one then started phoning to say did I still want an ambulance and I said incorrectly it had already arrived.

Anyway, eventually got my mum to Healthpoint trauma centre. Turned out the ambulance didn't know how to get there! So they had to follow me. Eternally grateful for the medical aid we are on being international and covering all costs for now. Meant my mum could be admitted and treated. The paperwork took an age though as they kept giving me the wrong forms and I eventually left my mum at 1.30 this morning, to have to wake up at 5 for school. My day was made though when I arrived at school to a tibouchina floral spray on my desk from my student who had been sick. I thought he must somehow know, but no, he just decided to give me flowers today, bless him. I have somehow managed to acquire an awful lot of marking for this weekend but I keep telling myself I would have had way more work if I had not gone into school today (which I was tempted to do when the paperwork took so long).



They are not quite sure what has caused the rupture of the artery in my mum's leg, so need to still do further tests. She is still in hospital for now and I am manning the home front. I need to head to bed though now. It has been quite a hectic 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment