Sunday 10 December 2017

Africa for the first time



Had a great evening on Friday going for sushi in Observatory with friends from Smuts and Fuller days. Haven't been to Obs since varsity days and the last time I saw the one friend was in 2010. They both have PhDs now and are doing really well. I do at times feel like I've underachieved when I am with people from Smuts and Fuller. Hoping to meet up with them again before I leave.

Had the board meeting yesterday before going to the airport to fetch Beth and Andrew. I had to give a quick feedback on the situation in Zim and it's implications for the project. Other than the fact that we should have elections next year, I had to say it is pretty hard to say. Bond notes are still in effect and there is still a cash crisis.



It was very windy on the drive to the airport with my aunt. The southeaster was blowing round the mountain and buffeting the car. The plane from Joburg arrived on time despite this but it took a while for everyone to collect luggage. While we were waiting I spotted friends I knew from Zim who now live in Australia who were waiting for their parents who were on the same flight as Beth and Andrew. It was really nice to see them and catch up. When everyone came through and we headed out I then bumped into another friend from Fuller days and we will try meet up next week. Small world.



On the drive back to Constantia I switched into French tour guide mode for Andrew - well not in French. Pointed out UCT and where I was in residence and then Kirstenbosch where we're going today and other places. Andrew was very taken with my aunt and uncle's garden when we got back as you just don't really get gardens that size in normal houses in the UK. Think he and Beth are pretty exhausted - they haven't woken up yet today. When they get up we'll try plan what we're going to do this week properly. It's quite fun having someone who has never been here before to explore with, although he is a bit nervous about crime, which is probably not a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment