Thursday 21 December 2017

Bye for now Cape Town, hello again Harare



The last day in Cape Town flew by. Went for a drive along the coast from Hout Bay to Camps Bay with my cousins and sister and brother-in-law. We had ice creams from Addictions (previously Sinnfull) and had them on top of the windy car park roof. From there we went back, stopping at the look out by  Pietro Ferrero's, the Ferrero Rocher's heir's, memorial overlooking Llandudno. Risking the wind we popped down to Llandudno Beach for old times' sake as it is our family's favourite spot and we have many memories from there. It actually wasn't windy down there. We then had a family dinner at Massimo's.



It took pretty much the whole of Tuesday to reach home. I had asked my sister to book flights that left sufficient time but we had about 2 hours extra to play with. Once again we were on the teeny tiny Fastjet plane back to Harare and we touched down just after 6 pm. We mistakenly took the route through Mbare on the way home. Big mistake! The traffic lights were working but the police were doing a very bad job of directing traffic at Coke Corner. It turned into gridlock and mini bus taxis were trying to force their way through. We sat there feeling hemmed in on every side by big lorries. Eventually we saw a gap and managed to extricate ourselves. Could otherwise have seen ourselves sitting there all night.

I am back to house sitting the dachshunds with my friend Bronwyn. I forgot that the dogs like chocolate and stupidly left my suitcase open. To my horror I came back to a trail of paper which was all that was left of several items of Lindt chocolate - they have expensive taste. They had not only opened my suitcase but dug around in it to find it. It doesn't seem to have had a negative effect on them luckily.



My brother-in-law has so far been introduced to the Maasdorp Market, Arundel Village, the International School and briefly Queen of Hearts. He said he has never felt like such a foreigner. He attributes it to the lack of other tourists and is finding Zim culture a bit of a shock. He is also reeling at the prices we pay for food here.

I started teaching my Chinese five year old again from yesterday. I was caught off guard by his questions. He wanted to know what is inside jellyfish that makes them jelly-like, why clown fish like Nemo don't get stung by sea anemones and then when I showed him pictures of South Africa, why Nelson Mandela didn't have a table in his cell.

No comments:

Post a Comment