Friday 8 December 2017

My ZANU PF sugar daddy



Slept so well last night - I actually have been having insomnia this last week on the lower dose of lithium but last night I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. Chilled at my aunt and uncle's this morning and contacted some Cape Townian friends. Things will get busier when my sister arrives tomorrow and my cousins get back next week and of course I will have the wedding and pre-wedding events. My good friend Warren picked me up at lunchtime and we went to what we thought was Greens Restaurant in Constantia but it is now Bootlegger. This threw Warren a bit as he already knew what he wanted but it was pleasant any way and we sat on the terrace sipping chardonnay and catching up. The moment of great hilarity though was when I thought Warren was asking me about the new Zim president but he was enquiring about a guy I really like back home. I proceeded to say well he had been involved in the Gukurahundi massacres, was still strongly ZANU PF and was over 60. Warren's face was a picture but he only interjected and realised who I was talking about and how we had gone off on trajectories when I started talking about his cabinet choices. He really had thought that somehow my ideologies had shifted and I was now pursuing someone high up in ZANU PF. We both thought it very funny and so did my aunt when I got home and told and she said she is very relieved too that I am not.

It is still very hot today, tomorrow may be cooler and we pray possibly may even rain. I am trained from Zim about recycling water and using it sparingly. I think my English brother in law may have to adjust. One person who had written an article on the water crisis here said that they had told their daughter that the day Cape Town runs out of water she must immediately leave as they fear civil war will erupt. Hopefully not but when they hit zero stage and all water resources have been used up the army and police are supposed to man water points around the city - scary. The first time I went to Switzerland with the Youth Encounter on Sustainability group and we presented on water scarcity around the world at Academia Engelberg, Cape Town had been highlighted as a city that would face acute water stress in the next ten years. We presented then on what could be done and the Freshwater Research Unit at UCT had highlighted this too even further back. Desalination seems to be the only option but it could have been done before now as suggested back then, and when it does happen it is going to make the price of water really high.



I sadly will miss seeing one of my best friends Gail by a couple of days here in Cape Town as she is coming back home from Switzerland to see her grandmother who is ill. Hopefully will see a fair few others. We are going to the Matthew Mole concert at Kirstenbosch on Sunday evening, joining the wedding group at the beach Monday, I'm going wine tasting with the wedding group at Ernie Els' wine estate on Tuesday and the climb up Table Mountain is happening on Wednesday morning. So those are plans so far. Tomorrow at lunchtime I've got a Skype board meeting for Xen Arts the dance project my friend Xenoula directs that uses dance as a way to tackle social issues and bring hope. She is based in the UK and does a lot of outreach work there but once a year she comes and runs workshops in Zimbabwe with local dancers and offers it to vulnerable groups.

Xenoula's intergenerational dance project in the UK she did a year or two ago as part of Xen Arts.

2 comments:

  1. hahahahaha laughed about the miscommunication

    He does not seem like a good prospect for a partner with that track record!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it gave you a good laugh, certainly did to us. Hopefully catch you in Zim if not in CT? Will message you xx

      Delete