Wednesday 13 December 2017

Sliding down Table Mountain :P



So the big climb happened yesterday up Table Mountain. It was a bit wet and cloudy, so not the best weather but climb we did. Well I got up the first set of stairs and was happy to turn back at that point but my brother-in-law wouldn't have it. I think he would make a good personal trainer - definitely pushed me harder than mine back home. So I carried on climbing. My friend getting married and two of her friends from Venezuela walked with us. Some parallels between Zim and Venezuela but I think I will stop complaining about Zim as Venezuela sounds crazier. I made it to the ladders at the top of Skeleton Gorge and then dug my heels in and waited there for the others. It had a beautiful mini waterfall and I noticed lots of sphagnum moss - should have collected some for the testate amoeba group in Neuchatel. Whilst sitting waiting I did have minor heart failure when I heard male voices approaching rapidly from down the mountain. People do get mugged on Table Mountain and I suddenly felt vulnerable. Luckily they were a bunch of school boys running up the mounting - yes running - mad!



Coming back down (I am much happier going down that up, although my legs are telling me it was heavy going today) I was doing well until I slipped on a foot bridge. I skidded down on my shin and seem to have botched my ankle - it's not broken but maybe strained. Bit of a cripple today. Hopefully will be able to potentially swing dance again tomorrow and dance at the wedding. Met with a friend from Fuller days at the Kirstenbosch tea room and then saw my old home group leader Rebecca and had a pancake dinner at my friend Jason's with another friend Dean who is a magician, who did some cool card tricks. It is good being back in Cape Town and I do miss my friends from here. It is nice being able to pick up again after about two years or longer.

Today I will be hobbling round Boulders Beach and Cape Point with family and my cousin will come round this evening. Time is beginning to fly. I head out to Elgin on Saturday for the wedding and then we fly to Zim on Tuesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment