Wednesday 6 December 2017

Checked in - there was internet!



Today has been a little frenetic but I did manage to see my friend Michelle who was back visiting from the UK with another friend briefly at lunch time which was really super. I went round swiping for stuff I bought yesterday but couldn't pay for when everything was offline. Made a last minute dash to Maasdorp market to get two other things and everyone seemed to be on a go slow. Then went to swipe at the central pay point and once again payment wouldn't go through - well at least I hope it jolly well didn't, must check now. Ended up having to part with very precious US dollars but it had to be done.



Rushed home and packed (hope I'm under 20 kg) and then in my haste to get to Greendale I misplaced the gate remote twice - really started to think I had finally lost the plot completely but found it in the dog biscuit bag, thank goodness. I taught my last two lessons before heading to Cape Town. Both of the Chinese parents are keen for me to continue teaching as soon as I get back from South Africa - the one father was almost keen for me to teach on Christmas Day but I said I would like Christmas off. As I had time between teaching I stayed on with my five year old and he created his own game which was quite intriguing and well thought out. Reminded me of the old pinball circuits and he even constructed a pouch to store the balls. My ten year old needed to learn his numbers in French and had a new song - Le Verdon to learn (it's not as exciting as Mon Bateau de Papier). His dad gave me his school report and it wasn't bad, the areas he needs to work on though are  dictation and conjugation of verbs. I think I need to enjoy the break for the next ten days as I'll be back to work after the 19th.

It's not this bad but I do wish I got paid to not work in school holidays. Instead they are sometime my busiest times.

Seems the army parade caused a bit of congestion and confusion in town today but luckily my route to Greendale was fine. Driving back from Newlands at the end of the day I hit a fair bit of traffic and it was raining quite heavily. Bit of thunder though which is nice and the sound of crickets. Wish I could take some rainwater to Cape Town. OK I'm off to bed. Have to be up at an ungodly hour and navigate my way to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment