Thursday 7 December 2017

Weary but in the Mother City, although my suitcase nearly wasn't



Three am is really flipping early. Made it to the airport by 4.30 but entering the drive in, two what looked like reservist police stepped out and seemed to be flagging us down. Given the hour and the fact that they weren't traffic police we drove on but did eye the AK rifle slung over the one's shoulder. Don't know what that was about. My flight seemed to be leaving on time but I got down to the gate and saw out the door the teeniest tiniest plane to travel from Harare to Joburg I've ever seen for the main commercial airport. I also wondered how on earth all the people waiting to board were possibly going to cram in but miraculously they did. Decided the airline should be Not-so-Fastjet as we were happily walking out onto the tarmac to board when they signalled for us to go back into the airport and wait again. We left eventually.

Well all was tickety-boo until I got to the luggage carousel in OR Tambo. First off I became acutely aware that everyone around me was suddenly speaking in German and I didn't recognise anyone from my plane. I thought to myself, surely the plane from Zim couldn't have had that many German tourists onboard. Well I checked the carousel monitor and found out we were sharing the carousel with a flight from Munich - ah! Well I then noticed that the same plastic wrapped bag that looked very similar to mine but wasn't kept going round and round. This continued until it was the only one left and I was the only one at the carousel. I was truly blessed at this moment to encounter the most amazing airport luggage officer called Philemon. He immediately deduced what had happened - someone had mistakenly taken my bag and he went into operation mode and efficiently did all that was required to get my bag back. He was so friendly and calm I didn't feel any alarm by this and luckily my next flight had been deliberately booked for a bit later in case something like this happened. We tried phoning the person whose bag I now had but it was a Zim number and they weren't answering. I was told to proceed to my next flight and my bag would be located and delivered to my aunt's doorstep. So suitcase-less I proceeded to domestic departures - the lightest I've ever travelled.



I had just checked-in when my aunt messaged to say Philemon had phoned her and said my suitcase was going to be put on my plane and I could get it off the carousel in Cape Town. Delighted I went through security and wondered round duty free drinking a much needed cup of Vida flat white. Sitting waiting to board 5 minutes before boarding time I happened to notice Philemon walking past me. I waved and was just saying thank you when he said he had come looking for me as I had to go back to the Kulula checkin desk as they couldn't put my suitcase through due to security. It was pure fluke we had spotted each other. For some reason OR Tambo doesn't do announcements in the domestic departures. As it was now boarding time we had to hot foot it back through the security gate but when we got to the Kulula desk they were reluctant to let my bag go through at this point. Philemon was a true champion and patiently argued that in fact he had had my bag for two hours but couldn't locate me and that I had actually already checked in. They wouldn't budge and by this time it was 5 minutes until my flight was to depart. Finally Philemon won them over - we hurriedly had to go back through a special side security gate where, flustered, I had to get my laptop out all over again and then sprint to the boarding gate. Thankfully I made it and I am indebted to Philemon. He was the best airport officer I have ever encountered and I intend to write a letter of praise to his department at OR Tambo. I actually got a follow up phone call when I got to Cape Town to check my bag had made it to Cape Town. Blown away!

Well Harare was refreshingly crisp this morning and Joburg was supposedly only 11 degrees, although I don't believe it was that cold. Cape Town on the other hand is 38! Am a little fatigued from the early start and slight drama - thank goodness for lithium, I'm not sure I would otherwise have remained so calm. Have spent the afternoon chatting away to my aunt and uncle and catching up since I last saw them. I'm going to sleep well tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment