Monday 1 January 2018

New Year



Last week I had an episode of bipolar rage again. It's the first one for a year and a half. I need to go see my psychiatrist and see if the lower dose of lithium is a factor as it tied again with PMT - I didn't have issues on higher lithium levels. Thursday and Friday were not good days but was invited to spend new year with friends and it did me the world of good and am feeling much better. Ended up going out to Christon Bank yesterday with my family and everything was luscious green against inky thunder clouds. My brother in law was fascinated by ant lions and he likes dung beetles too. Dug out my entomology text book for him with bugs of southern Africa. At dinner last night though I was the one who had to remove a giant cockroach. Today we're heading out to Kiki's just now and maybe Patrick Mavros. My sister had wanted to go to Vic Falls but it's not going to work in the time they have left. They will just have to come back again. Possibly a day trip in a hired car to Great Zimbabwe or the Vumba is on the cards. I start teaching today though so might not join.

Went to an interesting art gallery with my friend Judi on new year's eve. It is called the First Floor Gallery (it originally was on the first floor but is now in Lyric Heights on the third floor - not great for my ankle, but any way). The artist is Zambian and had used photographs and collage to reflect on political changes in Zim in 2017. The gallery is basically a small flat apartment and is curated by an American lady called Valery. This coming Saturday there's a jazz concert from the 12 concert series that I hope to go to. My friend's little boy turns 2 on Sunday and I've offered to help prepare for his party. So life is getting busy again, which is good - I need structure.





We were sitting chatting after dinner last night when we heard the horrific news that a friend of ours had been attacked while kayaking on Mpopoma Dam near Matopos by a crocodile. She was pulled out the kayak and battled the croc for quite some time sustaining serious injuries. Sadly the other person with her died. Thinking of her and her family.

1 comment:

  1. Katy, it was such fun catching up and going to the gallery with you this moonlit NY's eve.

    About the crocodile incident, what a terrible tragedy. In shock at the thought, your friend was so brave.

    ReplyDelete