Thursday 4 January 2018

Things that make my heart melt



Bit of a mix of emotions today. A good friend is leaving in a couple of weeks which is sad but hey I can visit her in Taunton next time I go to the UK. But will miss her. Am quite upbeat otherwise. Might see my therapist in the next day or so. Went to paint rocks at Phoenix Lodge this morning. It is good to know such a facility exists for people with mental health challenges. My mum threatens me with Ward 12 which sounds diabolical and out of the Victorian nightmare asylum horror stories. It has been good to see other people who have walked similar paths to my own and who just get me. A friend has lent me Paolo Coelho's biography which looks good. Funny quote from today "Barney is not the same dinosaur, there's a different person inside." I really thought that was hilarious.

Started back to teaching my five year old on Tuesday. He came running to the gate to let me in and had made me a card with a frangipani flower stuck on. He had got his mom to write "Dear Miss Kity (spelling intended), thank you for teaching me" and it was all his own initiative apparently. Really made my day and is what makes me love my job. A friend also hand made me a glass as a present and that also was special. Otherwise, my family had thought of going to Vic Falls and then Nyanga for a couple of days. I would have stayed behind as I am teaching but in the end plans didn't come together so they have been in Harare. Have done a bit of a coffee shop tour with them and went out to Kiki's and Patrick Mavros. Also went to Chapungu Kraal and Doon Estate. I need to stop spending as I bought a book at Kiki's and then a sculpture at Chapungu - eeeek. The artist at Chapungu who sculpted my carving is keen for me to go teach art out there as he said they would all like to improve their drawing and in exchange I could maybe learn sculpture. Will see, it's a bit of a trek out there but it is tempting. The sculptors were really nice people.



We had milkshakes at Veldemeer's at Doon Estate and a bowl of Belgian pommes frittes. We had just finished when a vervet monkey with her tiny baby clinging to her hopped on our table as we were still sitting there. She confidently picked up the unfinished tomato sauce dish and started happily licking it out. My brother in law caught this in an amazing photo where he also captured my sister's facial expression - I have asked for a copy but they won't give it to me as they know it will go up on social media :P But it is priceless!! The monkey then ran off with the bowl and I went after her. After trying to negotiate with her she did put it down but then started advancing towards me in a menacing way and I chickened out and backed off. Eventually we got the bowl back but it was definitely entertaining.



My really good friend is back on her vacc from film school in the States and I have volunteered for her to film me as she follows me around for a day. It could be interesting, although I am pondering what she will capture - did say loo visits and getting dressed were off limits. We're going to a print art exhibition opening at Sorella's Pizzeria tonight which my friend Ashleigh Donn is putting on with a friend.




1 comment: