Monday 11 May 2020

Day 1 of remote teaching, how many more?



We screeched into school just after 7 this morning and quickly set up books to be collected under the tree by the entrance. I ended up doing some marking (yes, it has begun already) while waiting. All my parents did collect the work and I then had my first Zoom session with my class. Not sure that it is that effective for teaching some of mine, as I had the feeling I was leaving some way behind. One student doesn't have internet at home so I will have to email her dad at work to get work and instructions to her and then another student didn't manage to get online for the session today. I also need to plan my maths sessions a bit more carefully as I found it hard to get some concepts across today. I also may have to plan more maths during the week as one session today and then on Thursday might not be enough. I am supposed to have two other slots to go over past entrance exam papers with my grade 7s. We're waiting again to hear what dear old ED has to say on Sunday about schools going back and if he will allow grade 7s and then form 4s and upper sixes to come back at least as they are exam classes. One friend said an actuary down south said they are predicting that Corona will only reach its peak in Southern Africa in September. Who knows!



My mum seemed to have a good birthday yesterday and we organised a surprise Zoom friends and family toast for her, with my sister, aunt and cousins and good friends. We're still eating the fabulous chocolate cake that my friend Chiara from Sorella's Pizzeria and Cafe made and my parmesan chicken turned out fairly well, although with my mum being on Zoom lunch got delayed a little and the chicken maybe shouldn't have been in the oven for quite as long.




I'm pretty tired after today. So far not too much marking, but it's going to come and I need to get back into the rhythm. Did most of my photocopying today for next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment