Saturday 5 May 2018

Live-videoing? and reconnected



I have been sitting an my computer most of today surrounded by my books and planners. It was only midway through the afternoon though that I suddenly noticed my laptop camera was on and there appeared to be a red record button on my Facebook tab. Have just switched from using Safari to Google Chrome and not sure what I've done, but am hoping against hope I haven't been live videoing unintentionally and unconsciously all day. So embarrassing if I have! Please no. Any enlightenment on what was going on with my Facebook and laptop much appreciated.



I had my lesson with my five year old which began with me connecting on Zoom to him midway through a massive temper tantrum. (Possibly my Zoom was still on with the camera - I really hope it was just that). I managed to get my student to subside by playing him another version of The Prehistoric Animal Brigade that has realistic models of dinosaurs and mammoths. This got his attention and he calmed down and we were able to have his lesson. For his reading there was a rat on a skateboard. He had never heard of skateboarding so I showed him a video. We both found the bit where the person goes through the window (at 37 sec) really funny and the lesson ended on a good note (and he now knows what a skateboard is). I will see him online again tomorrow. His dad has offered to pay the cost for using wireless off my phone via a hotspot. Could mean I could try teach him during the week but am just going to have to see how my first week goes. Last night at HIFA a teacher at the French School said they are always looking for Zimbabweans who can speak both French and English and she said I could put my name forward to them. I am already committed though.


Getting there with preparation. I decided not to go to the International School play tonight though and press on. Unfortunately couldn't get my friend's phone to work with my SIM card but have been lent another phone and although had an issue initially trying to get Apple to let me download stuff without a credit card I FINALLY am reconnected with a phone. Although it is a material thing I found it a bit trying and did feel withdrawal symptoms - probably good for me, but it was hard. So please send me your numbers, I sadly have lost them.



Tomorrow I will see two last shows at HIFA. Graffiti Classics from Ireland (doing a comic rendition of classical music and broadway) and then Freshlyground (a group of us are going so it should be fun). Freshlyground should be allowed into the country this time with the new regime after their video Chicken to Change caused them to be deported in a previous HIFA when we still had Bob. Well they actually weren't allowed to leave the plane I think. Here's hoping dear ED thinks better of them than Bob, we are after all supposed to now be "open for business" in the new Zimbabwe.



Looks like I might be doing a fairly long stint of house sitting. Next week I will be looking after a friend's cats for about a month in Avondale and then I may be house and dog sitting two Rhodesian ridgebacks in Highlands until August. Both will allow me the use of their car which will be a big bonus as it means I can get to school independently from my mum in the morning and may mean I can get to school a little earlier (winter is going to be hard and I really must not tell myself 5 more minutes - it can be fatal!) Going to miss my dogs who are right now curled up by my feet. Will have to make regular trips home to see them, but not quite the same.







No comments:

Post a Comment