Wednesday 16 May 2018

To Jupiter and beyond and flossing



Today I managed to do my English lesson with my Chinese five year old online. Finished up at school and got home in time to zoom. Twice we lost connection though and when my student reconnected he first said he'd been to Jupiter and then Mars. I told him Mars was a bit closer and showed him a picture of the solar system. He remembered Saturn with its rings - he is is a bright button. He then brought up black holes and shooting stars. Wednesdays could work out well to fit in an extra lesson. Did have to tell his mum I don't think I'll be able to do his lessons over the Africa Day weekend as I will be in Nyanga and I don't think I will have good reception there (I also wouldn't mind a mini break, can do his Wednesday lesson).



Starting to get into a pattern for teaching, marking and work preparation. I think the routine and structure is doing me good and it definitely gives me a purpose. I do occasionally feel a little swamped when a whole lot of little people are flocking round me at the same time all wanting my help simultaneously. I do have to try get them to sit down and then tackle one at a time. A few are still very dependent and ask you things for almost everything and I find I have to keep repeating myself - A LOT! This does make me feel tired, I won't lie. Two of my grade sevens who sadly are the weakest are getting very anxious about their upcoming entrance exams. They have taken it upon themselves to stay in at break and work. Have told them they need a bit of a break (as I know they won't concentrate after break if they don't have a bit of a break) and we will start doing past papers from next week - they've been doing revision this week and last. I overheard the one today saying he just can't fail his entrance exam as his parents will be so ashamed - I really hope his parents can see he is doing his best. The sad thing is the schools he is applying for may not be able to cater for his needs, even though they are the only schools that take students with major challenges in Harare. I don't know that these two will cope with O Level.



Another student has come back but his parents still haven't finished paying off fees from last term and unless they do and pay this term's he won't be able to continue. I feel desperately sorry for him as he is a very sweet kid and is one of my harder workers.

Managed to teach pollination today without the words "sexual reproduction". I had thought one of my older boys might make wise cracks on some of it but he either didn't make the connection or just luckily kept quiet. For the lesson I stuck up information around the classroom and the students had to look for it and make notes. Seemed to work quite well and kept them busy.



Yesterday in P.E. one boy did a dance move that is currently all the rage apparently called flossing. Luckily I had seen a video on it and knew exactly what he was doing. He seemed fairly impressed by this and I got him to teach the others - it's quite good for coordination.



Had a fun quiz at the Mustard Seed last night. Halfway through it bucketed with rain (unusual for this time of year) and the poor quiz master had to really shout to be heard. It was quite funny though as he has a fairly thick Scottish accent and a lot of the questions were linked to Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment