Tuesday 1 May 2018

A slightly wet start for HIFA

Well I didn't manage to find out where exactly the book launch was this afternoon, so after teaching my Chinese five year old I put in some work on my time table. It is going to be jolly hard giving homework with no facility to print stuff out - grrrr. We spoke about banda machines and a new one to me - the jelly tray?! yesterday. I do have a small printer here at home. Might have to use it but I do have 15 kids in my class so I hope the electricity/printer situation can be resolved really soon. I hadn't planned for this.



Had a bit of a glitch with sound when I started my Zoom lesson today. It hasn't done that before. I thought it was asking for my Zoom password to resolve it but misread that it was actually asking for my computer's password. My five year old is suddenly taken with drumming so I showed him a group playing at HIFA on Youtube. Have found a great beginner's ebook site www.clarkness.com and he seemed to enjoy what I set him today. Some of the books even have fonts for dyslexia which is useful. I still end the lesson saying, "See you later alligator etc." I showed him the picture below - think he was more taken with the photo of the baby crocodile than what it says though as he was trying to take a screen shot of it. I am amazed at how he can use his tablet - some stuff I have no clue how to do but he's mastered it.



Went to our first HIFA show this afternoon - Trio Mapivi (a cellist, pianist and percussionist). I enjoyed it and particularly their performance of Piazzolla's The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires and their use of the piano as a percussion instrument. Loved the tango flare. Met up with an Italian friend after and we wondered round the craft market by the National Art Gallery a bit. It started to rain which is a pity for the opening show and other outdoor events tonight. Hopefully people will still enjoy it. Tomorrow we're off to the opera. Hopefully it's dry then.

Youtube clip which is not the trio that played today and not with the percussion but the piece of music by Piazzolla.



No comments:

Post a Comment