Monday 30 April 2018

Hapana ZESA for 4 weeks!



It feels like school has started now, after having the staff meeting this morning. The actual meeting went well and I now know what is expected with my schemes and records. We will have four dress up Fridays in the term and the plan is to have a "Garden Creations" exhibition at the end of term as we are doing plant and animal life cycles (minus the sex ed). The kids will be tasked with creating an arrangement out of flowers and fruit/veg. Sounds fun and artistic. Well the downer of the day was that the school has been without electricity for four weeks now as the local transformer blew and ZESA has it on a waiting list to be repaired. This is going to be a problem with regards to printing material for teaching as the printer and photocopier uses too much power for the current generator. Fingers crossed a bigger generator can be brought in but it does mean I need to rethink my lesson material and handouts, a challenge when we rely on material from the internet and photocopying the single copies of text books - there are no sets of text books available. Aaah! Least I've got a week. The other problem is all the water is pumped from the water tank and so this also depends on electricity. Not fun for loos but will have to just have buckets. The joys of Zim.



Looks like my little friend who I taught Grade 1 to last year and I strongly believed to be autistic is coming to the school this term. His parents seem to still not want to recognise the autism diagnosis a psychiatrist gave and will only acknowledge that they think he has ADHD. Hopefully the school can help him and maybe his parents will come around. He does at least now have a speech therapist and OT which is a vast improvement from last year.



I have been invited to go to a book launch tomorrow afternoon to blog about it. Apparently it is centred round feminism and entrepreneurship. Could be interesting, I just have to find the place I'm supposed to be going to in town. From there will be going to a trio of a cellist, pianist and percussionist - the first on my HIFA line up.



The voters' roll is now ready for inspection - you can go check everything is correct between the 19th and 29th May. Elections loom! I will have to go to Selborne Routledge School. For the moment half term is set as the weekend of the 22nd June but this could change depending on when elections are. There are already observers in the country monitoring things.

Have been accepted to exhibit at the Wild Geese Art Festival on the 3rd of June. Going up to Nyanga with friends over the Africa Day long weekend. Plan to take my paint brushes while some of the others fish. Going to share a stand at Wild Geese with my good friend Lucy which will be fun.






No comments:

Post a Comment