Wednesday 11 April 2018

Braaing in the Dark



Managed to make all my salads on Monday night. Had laid everything out for the braai when the heavens decided to open. I think having a braai seems to be a good form of rain dance. Had to come up with plan B, using a covered braai at the back but it was a little overgrown with creeper. I also assumed the light outside worked, turned out it didn't, so it was a bit of a challenge. Attempted to get the fire going but I need to learn a bit more in the art of laying the tinder and wood. Friends came to the rescue - I think I missed the fire making badge when I did Girl Guides.



Today the work starts in earnest, preparing for next term. Coming up with a syllabus for phonics and grammar is a bit of a challenge. I am going to search the Times Educational Supplement site for ideas and try come up with things. Still toying with doing NILD next holidays but my gut feeling is it is going to be heavy to take that on at the end of term, next year might be a better idea.

Went to art this morning. I nearly went back to bed but glad I pushed myself to get up and get going. We did a roulette of picking a landscape photo from a turned over pile and painting one out of four, trying to make it a dramatic picture. Sarah gave tips on different ways your could make it dramatic, for instance, using different brush strokes, changing the perspective, use of colour and line. I did something a bit different to my usual but loved slapping on thick oil paint and playing with my underlying colour. I think I enjoy landscapes and portrait work best. My friend in Australia sent a cool quote, "A painting is never finished ... it simply stops in interesting places". I have trouble knowing when to stop. I managed to get oil paint on my face and gave myself a red Hitler moustache which spread. Didn't know I had one till Sarah said had I looked in the mirror recently.






Just taught my five year old. He has decided to say when he is rubbing something out with an eraser he is rub-a-dub-dubbing it. Thought that was really cute. Glad he remembers the nursery rhyme I taught him. Yesterday he made my day. He has a map of the world with pictures on it in the English book we are using. Without prompting he pointed to Egypt on the map and said that's what it was as he could see a pyramid. It is a while since we talked about pyramids and his mum admitted she didn't know that was what they were called. Very gratifying, he is a bright button.


Just got an email from my five year old's mum with this picture saying he says the neighbours are nosy. (We did Mr Nosy from the Mr Men books). Am thrilled he has grasped what nosy means.



No comments:

Post a Comment