Friday 6 April 2018

Qing Ming or Tomb Sweeping Fest



Today has been busy. I walked to the local Jewish school, Sharon, as I thought a friend was giving a NILD therapy session there. In our plan on whatsapp we had failed to say where and I had just assumed she would be at Sharon but she was actually taking it in the home of her student which is where I used to house sit for Polish friends on the Ridge. So I walked home instead and saw my doggies who were delighted to see me and there was a flurry of tail wagging and licks. Sadly heard that a friend in Cape Town died this morning.



Went back to where I am house sitting and we FaceTimed with our Aussie friend's son in Perth and saw their grand doggie. I then did my Zoom lesson and showed my student some photos from Imire and the video of the elephant that thinks its a buffalo, Nzou. He was intrigued by this, as well he may be. He told me that today was a special day in China and his mum explained it is when families go and clean relatives' graves and enjoy the cherry blossom and prepare for spring. Since I had shown him photos from Imire, I told him he should send me a photo of cherry trees near where he lives. Just got an email with a photo and will ask him to tell me more about it tomorrow. He said he had also got a bag full of sand so I told him about Japanese zen gardens - well we googled (I can share my screen with him) and we saw some amazing mini ones and he is completely captivated with this idea and has grand plans on what he is going to do with his. I await to see what he has done tomorrow.





From zen gardens and Chinese festivals I went to do a revision lesson on the eye for IGCSE biology. I never quite know what my form four is going to want to go over when I have a lesson with him (it can be any of his nine O Level subjects). It is rather potluck and I have to just go with the flow. Then went to my Chinese ten year old for French and we worked hard at an A2 DELF past paper. He was not in a very cooperative mood, so I was very surprised when he asked me if I was coming tomorrow. I had forgotten I had suggested cookery and that he was keen for a Saturday lesson. Spoke to his mum, who was also under the impression I was coming tomorrow, and we agreed to focus on his DELF for the next week and then maybe do a cookery session in French as a reward after his exam in one of his regular lesson times. He really wants to learn how to cook chilli con carne of all things (not that French).



Stopped in Pick'N'Pay on the way home to get coffee for people coming to do art therapy here tomorrow morning for the depression support group. I was preoccupied and this seemingly young guy sidled up to me and I thought seemed to be trying to chat me up. I didn't recognise him and was taken aback when he suddenly said did I teach at the school I will be starting at next term. Just in time I realised he was one of the parents - ooops!! I am going to have to get used to this. I know the parents of my individual students that I tutor but am going to need to remember who the parents are of all of my 15 new students.


No comments:

Post a Comment