Wednesday 4 April 2018

Of turkeys and modern impressionists

Piece by Erin Hanson

Had my cathartic fix again this morning going to art at Sarah Fynn's. We had such fun! One of the art teachers from Chisi was there and she showed us a really cool technique where you use acrylic inks and cling wrap. You can play with leaves and possibly alcohol and soap bubbles but didn't do that today. Sarah also had copper dust you could dust on and it spread to a beautiful sheen. Was introduced to a book of paintings by a new American artist called Erin Hanson who is like a modern day Van Gough. She uses deep reds as a foundation to her oil paintings and her trees and clouds have such life. I worked on creating backdrops with cling film to work into and then Sarah presented us with random pictures to draw in.  I was given turkeys! Never drawn turkeys before.

Spot the turkeys - still in progress 

Another backdrop.  Might do insects, possibly a preying mantis.

Rushed home to teach online and discovered was also teaching my other Chinese student today too. My ten year old is keen for me to teach him cookery on Saturdays which surprised me as I didn't think he was always thrilled to see me,  but he said in all earnestness that he enjoys his lessons which was rather heartwarming and rewarding I must say. I don't know that after the holidays I am going to have time for Saturday cooking lessons sadly though. 



A friend has asked me to write an article for a local publication about my own experience of having depression and what it has been like having it in Zimbabwe and what has helped. I will have to give this some thought. There are now over a hundred people in my online support group and another person is keen to make podcasts for people suffering with things that help. Organising an art therapy session on Saturday. 



Went out to dinner to the Spice Lounge with our friends from Australia this evening. The food was delicious but ever so slightly hot - guess the restaurant lives up to its name. We had an interesting breath freshener called meetha afterwards. Tomorrow we're up early to head to Imire. Using a different route through Wedza as the normal road is not good apparently. The directions involve a lot of stores as landmarks. Here's hoping we find it. I am so stiff today from gym yesterday - it's the pistol squats. 




No comments:

Post a Comment