Sunday 8 April 2018

Frisbee, friends and the chocolate thieves strike again!



Yesterday ended up being quite busy. Besides the art therapist, only two other girls came for art therapy but it was a good session. We drew self care trees and wrote on things we should do for mental health. Got a few more ideas for the article I am writing for Ndeipi and we talked about organising to do podcasts on depression and maybe making a group blog for people to write on anonymously. The lady running the art therapy is a lovely lady called Sandy Ndoro. She offers therapy at the First Step.

I was online for my Chinese student but somehow we didn't immediately connect. As a result it was a little late for my poor five year old and he had a bit of melt down over his least favourite part of the lesson, reading. It turned into quite a temper rage and eventually his mum pulled him away from the screen and reappeared still trying to hold him, to say the lesson was over. He hasn't had a tantrum like that, at least when I was there, for quite some time. I think he was just tired though. Apparently he was going to have school today to make up for the three days of public holiday for the Qingming Festival (it seems a public holiday has to be made up for in China).


After my lesson I went to go watch a local ultimate frisbee tournament that a friend of mine had organised. It was a lot more energetic than I had imagined - I had sort of pictured it as a leisurely jog throwing a disc, but it involved some dramatic leaps and sprints. Not sure I would be up for it but it was fun to watch and photograph. I wasn't going to stay for the braai after as was supposed to be going to dinner with our friends from Aussie but I actually felt ill and spent the evening at home feeling nauseous, think it was something I ate yesterday morning. Felt better today but avoided rich food and milk.



Went to the Reps quiz this morning and we won thanks to the others knowing all the provinces in Zimbabwe and their capitals. I did know the composer for the ballet Romeo and Juliet, although my sister has just told me on Skype that Tchaikovsky's version is used by the Russians. My sister has also been showing me photos of spring in Swindon - all the beautiful daffodils and tulips. A friend gave me a collection of spices from Zanzibar. Will have to make some curries and have a dinner party.



We were having tea just now with our friends from Australia (it's their last night in Harare, has been wonderful having them here again). I suddenly heard this funny rustling sound coming down the corridor and went to investigate. Well, it was Lexi the dachshund dragging a plastic bag behind her. Little monkey, she had opened our friends' packed suitcase, pulled out the chocolate we had given them and was trying to make a run for it with it down the passage way. I had warned our friends the dachshunds have a nose for chocolate and will eat it. Luckily Lexi hadn't opened it up and it was fine. Did give us all a good chuckle.



No comments:

Post a Comment