Saturday 19 May 2018

Royal Wedding and Weekending



My week ended well yesterday. In the last period I got my class to play Kim's game and the Minister's Cat as memory games. Going to try do this every week or other fun maths games. We also had staff tea again and the deputy head had gone all out, ordering things from The Plot coffee shop. Golly, there was a cheesecake with feathering on it, beautifully decorated muffins, millionaire shortbread and mini spinach and then bacon quiches. It was quite funny though as in the middle of tea a muslim man, who is the uncle of one of the students and is exterminating the rats we have, arrived. He said maybe it was because of the teachers' tea there is a rat problem and did we do this every day? No, we would all be huge if we did and it wasn't possible to eat everything. He had a slice of cheesecake too. I really am going to have to think about what I'm going to bake when it is my turn to do tea - the bar is being set very high and Friday tea is a big deal.



I taught my Chinese French student. We digressed slightly when I was getting him to do a description as we somehow got onto the topic of Hitler's moustache. I told him Charlie Chaplin had had a similar one. My student wanted to draw the moustache but decided to add his own adjustment to it with twirls like Salvador Dali's! I thought this was very funny. I tried to explain to him why Hitler was a bad person. He had never heard of the Jews so I did my best in French to explain who they are. I learnt a new word - les tsiganes (gypsies) from the passage below. My student wanted to know if Hitler would have also not liked the Chinese and I said probably not.





Went to the Romanian film at the EU Film Festival in the park. They had done a great job making it festive and I had litchi craft cider which was yummy. I'm glad I had my friend Ioana from Romania next to me to explain the context of the film as it would otherwise not have made as much sense to me. She told me that at the end of the communist era many people had to go to court to try get their homes back, as many of the wealthier families had their houses taken by the state during communism. Interesting.

This morning I took Ginger the cat to the vet as he has a pulmonary infection. Managed to get him into the cat box with the help of Evermore the housekeeper, but he still scratched me. Shame, he had an antibiotic shot and I have to now try keep him in at night as it's getting colder (and wet). A friend invited me to join their family to watch the Royal Wedding which was fun, particularly as his brother is anti royalty and made funny remarks throughout. Found the American Reverend Michael Curry quite amusing as it was in such contrast to the pomp and solemnity of the monarchy. I did notice the Queen shifting her shoulders at one point, possibly unsure of all of this and the Duchess of Cambridge trying not to smile. My mum went to a memorial this afternoon, so she missed watching the wedding and is now watching a replay on E! News, of all channels (it's the only one showing the ceremony) as I do my marking. The commentary is just too much!





All the best reactions to Reverend Curry's royal sermon


But to work I must return after an enjoyable pause today. My headmistress did tell me to relax a bit this weekend. She will be pleased to know that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment