Saturday 26 October 2013

Onwards and upwards I say ...


Well I haven't been on for a little while as, as I mentioned in the previous posts, I no longer have my current job after the end of this year. In many different ways it is a big relief as to be honest I wasn't really enjoying it of late. If I could have been doing fieldwork I think it might have felt it was more rewarding but I never managed to get to the field. Instead I have been cooped up indoors battling through statistics and been a hermit because of it. Statistics has been very stressful and I am very dubious of the p-values which convey the ever sought after deeming of significance. It is very easy to get a different result but science lauds the p-value and it's supposed truth a little too greatly.

I am therefore at a cross-roads again though job-wise. This is a bit unsettling and I have got anxious over it. I am putting my CV out to local schools to maybe teach next year. So far no takers but they have agreed to maybe have me down as a relief teacher for subbing if needed. I will probably have to tutor more to increase my income in the meantime. Am trusting for better things.

Having signed up for an online course on creative writing and story telling, I wish to pursue this a little more as I enjoy writing. At some point I want to try write a full tale of my illness and battles with depression. It would be cathartic and might help others, I don't know.

Depression and the threat of it's return do hinder me in my job search as I know I can't take on high stress again - I just don't cope well. Working by correspondence does give me grace for days when I wake up to downs and struggle. A full-time job would not be so accommodating but in a way structure would be good for me. Also I enjoy interacting with people to an extent and being cooped up at home working is not always good for me. We'll see.

In the meantime I need to finish off the dratted data analysis, so back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment