Monday 7 October 2013

“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.” ~A.A. Milne



My moods are greatly affected by the weather, this morning it was warm, bright and sunny and I felt an optimism and I felt alive with the spring time. I have just ventured out again and it has turned overcast and looks like it is building for a storm. Almost in reflection to this I am feeling unsettled from work and pressured from many sources. I wish my job could be more outdoors instead of sitting in front of a computer. I am lucky in that the various jobs I do are flexi and as I am not employed full time I am the master of how I use my time and when I take breaks. This is a blessing and a curse. In some ways I wish I had the structure of a full time single job. I would also like to have work colleagues I could interact with and bounce ideas off for challenges. Full time work though would not give me the liberty I have to go have coffee with someone if I want to or do some painting or writing when I feel the urge.

Work is hard to come by these days and I must be grateful I have some work. I do question at times though if it is really what I want to be doing. My Mum loves teaching and it is her life. It has been her life for as long as I remember and at times it takes over the rest of hers and my lives. When I was little she ran a preschool from home. At times I would get jealous as the other kids got so much of her attention and at the end of the day when I felt it was "my" time and her attention could finally be focused on me she was often tired and grumpy. Being the eldest child I think I was put out when my younger Sister came along and I had to share my Mum with her. My Dad once said to me that I was not a nice child until my Sister came along which has stuck and stung for many years and also increased my resentment towards my Sister.

I think the day my Sister was born is a memory that has also churned and burned within me for a very long time. I remember my Mum going off (to the hospital it turned out to have my Sister, but this was not explained to me). All the other kids in the play school were collected and it started to get dark but my Mum didn't come home. I went up to the room where the domestic help Mary stayed on our property. She didn't really say where my Mum was or what was going on. Eventually, very late in the evening my Dad came home and he too didn't really explain. My Parents' marriage at that point was already headed for disaster and so my whole world with my Mum felt threatened.

Part of me also is resentful that my Sister does not remember as much of my Parents' divorce and the fights and tension that went with it as I do. I always had to be the brave one, the one who didn't cry and the one who said it was all going to be alright. I had to be the one who had to pretend everything was normal and be there for my Mum. It was always me that my Mum would off burden to and it is always me who has to be the one who has to help contribute financially when we get into a predicament. I hate being the older sister and the one who is supposed to be grown up and deal with problems.

My Dad used to always push me to achieve in school and it used to feel like nothing I did was ever good enough. The ghost of my Dad still taunts me at times and drives me to be a perfectionist and feel what I have done is still not up to scratch. It is a ghost that is not laid to rest easily and I often feel I have to prove myself and go beyond what everyone else is doing. I think I inherited my Dad's tendency to be a workaholic and I definitely get my manic and depressive moods from him. There are traits I get from my Mum though too such as not addressing problems and covering them up.


No comments:

Post a Comment