Friday 15 March 2019

When you try to tempt a hurricane, I mean cyclone ...



First you put washing on the line, second you plan a braai and third you pass a school with their sports day under way. But whether Idai is going to make an appearance remains to be seen. Semi battening down the hatches and hoping the roof of where I am house sitting is sturdy enough. Might tie myself to the supporting beam in the middle of the room if it looks like I might be Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz - which incidentally apparently called it a cyclone in the original book, even though it is geographically a tornado.



Just come back from going to see my high school English teacher Mrs Sternslow at Flame Lily Lodge in Marlborough. She is sadly in a very bad way physically and mentally. Her daughter left to go back to South Africa last night and the nurse said Mrs Sternslow was very sad and not eating. I could relate to how she felt. She seemed to recognise me and I talked to her before she fell asleep. She was instrumental in making me write and love to use words to express myself. We did the poems below with her in high school and I will always remember her zany, sarcastic humour - quivering chest hairs and dream boat jokes and calling us the creme de la creme who needed to show in our writing that we were. She also challenged institutional education and brought out a rebel streak in us. Loved her for all of those things and more. Convent girls who were taught by her, please try go see her. She would love to see you and my visit seemed to help her a little I hope. I know from when I have been hospitalised, a friendly face who will just come sit with you is a gift.






Yesterday I kept busy. I went for christian counselling at the Base first. Dealt with some relationship stuff. I did back away a bit when challenged with whether depression is just chemical or if it is from the devil. I scarred my personal trainer by telling her about this - she had never heard that one, but reacted strongly. The scientist in me balks too, although I do know there is growing research into whether it is just serotonin and how much medication helps or not. I still need to take my meds though. My homework for the counselling is to think of what christian ministry I have received before and how it has changed my heart. I think I am going to have to google what that means, as I am not sure. I think people rather than pastors have ministered to me and it has been when someone has prayed for me, given me a prophetic picture or encouraged me to express my spirituality through dance, art or writing. But yes, need to think a bit more.



I then went for tea with my high school teachers and we tried out things made by two teachers who will be opening a coffee shop at Dr Omar's rooms on Enterprise. Heard a funny story from my R.E. teacher, that when she taught Bona Mugabe, Grace and Bob had to have their own parents meeting in the deputy head's office, surrounded by security. This was not what happened when Bona was in junior school and Grace lined up with everyone else to see my mum. (When Grace got to the front of the queue my mum without thinking said, "You look awfully familiar, did I teach you?") My R.E. teacher said she asked Bob if he ever missed teaching and he apparently replied that he missed the kids. Interesting.

I then had coffee with two friends at Queen of Hearts, which keeps changing. From there I went to personal training. My trainer actually gave me two 6 kg weights to take with to Cape Town. But I am thinking that is half my suitcase allowance (am allowed two 23 kg bags but the person who is taking us to the airport has a small car). I might borrow a theraband instead. My trainer is going to send me workouts to do while I am away. After Wednesday night when I started cutting myself, I really need to do weights or skip instead. My therapist will be doing sessions over skype with me while I am away.


No comments:

Post a Comment