Saturday 3 February 2018

Beef Bourguignon



Has been a fairly social weekend. Dinner was fun last night at Sabat Thai and then today I invited friends for a meal and attempted a beef bourguignon recipe I found on Pinterest. It makes me think of the movie Julia and Julie and is à la the famous Julia Child. The blog my recipe was from did mention this. I should have watched the movie clip below for inspiration before I cooked it :P Hit a bit of problem when trying to get the wine to reduce as it made loads of liquid and there was no way it was going to all disappear. I also then discovered the oven where I am house sitting is highly temperamental as it kept just switching off. The top of the casserole got caught a little. As a first attempt it was OK but I possibly could perfect it. It is jolly filling. I panicked a little at the beginning as I underestimated how long it would take to dice up garlic - oh my goodness me it takes forever! Seriously, next time might buy it ready cut. I knew I had to leave the dish in the oven for 2.5 hours so it was a bit of a race against time to get it all done. For pudding I didn't make a raspberry Bavarian cream as in the movie, but rather a raspberry, kiwi, pineapple, blackberry and watermelon fruit salad with meringues and cream.

Julia and Julia beef Bourguignon


OK I'll stop being a food blogger now. Yesterday I did a special lesson with my Chinese five year old on wetlands to celebrate World Wetland Day. He seemed to enjoy it. On Monday we'll be using clay to do modelling when we discuss soils and I'll talk about clay wetland soils. We started reading his first book. He's still not that enchanted with the concept of reading and doesn't always look at the words but he's getting better. I started with my new student yesterday and she is very sweet. She did point out that I need to improve my handwriting - I know!



Tomorrow I need to get up and wash up and then sit down and tackle the last wetland report I've got to do and prepare lessons for the week. I can't believe it's February already.


No comments:

Post a Comment