Tuesday 13 February 2018

Japan and another death



Did a lesson on Japan with my Chinese five year old today and he is warming to it a bit more. I first told him about the Winter Olympics in Korea and showed him an ice skating video. Pointed out that Korea was another country next to China and I showed him a snippet of Gangnam Style. When we looked at Japan he noticed that the writing is similar to Chinese and immediately said Japan must have got it from China. I decided to google to check and he was in fact right and he retorted, "Of course I am." Such modesty. He was rather taken with how similar some things in Japan are to China - hopefully this will improve his impression of Japan and he will get over the fact that they invaded China in the Second World War.



I have just heard more sad news, a good friend of ours Mo who lives down the road died last week after battling with cancer. She grew up in Mutare like my mum and she and her husband were good friends to us. We went camping with them and used to pop down the road to see them. When I came home from Switzerland and came out of hospital I stayed with them for a little bit and Mo was really good at listening and letting me be. She was incredibly kind and gentle. Two special people gone in one week.



Thankfully the elderly aunt of the person I was house sitting for has made a good recovery after drinking marmite in hot water, eating bananas and taking rehydration solution. I have been asked to film a grade 10 at the International School's IB drama project this afternoon. Hopefully it will all go smoothly and I don't botch it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment