Wednesday 7 February 2018

Everything is orange and departures



We finally used the modelling clay today in my lesson with my five year old, he was so excited, but golly, everything turned orange - the colour of the clay, almost immediately. It was very rewarding seeing how delighted it made my student though. We learnt the letter t today and when I said "I spy with my little eye something beginning with t", he replied "tippy toes" - OK, I guess but not quite what I was thinking of. From the Correspondence School we had a mention of Rusape so I decided to show him where that is using Google Earth. He wanted to then see where he lived and where I lived and wanted to know why he couldn't see my dogs in my yard. From his social studies I had to try get out of him that he was Asian as he came from China but instead he told me he was yellow and white. He has a song about Hannukah on repeat at the moment and keeps singing it to me. I decided to find an English song about Chinese New Year as I keep telling him that it is being celebrated now. He didn't like my song though as it had the line "Goodbye old year, celebrate the new one". He said he isn't ready to say goodbye to this year yet - wise little soul he is.



His family have finally settled on a departure date to China - the 1st of March. I will stop lessons the end of February. I am very sad as it is like losing one of my best friends and I am going to miss him so much and all the things he says that make me want to laugh so hard but which I have to try keep a straight face over. His mum chatted to me today at the end of the lesson and said they are really happy with the general knowledge my student has picked up from my lessons as he often tells them things and surprises them. I am thrilled he remembers what I have been saying but I do know he has a very good memory as he surprises me with remembering words like cat's eye nebulas and types of dinosaurs. Have to sort out getting Cambridge grade 1 books for him and me to use via correspondence and online learning so that we can continue that way.



The other sudden unexpected departure yesterday was the death of my high school music teacher, Miss Capelluto. She passed away peacefully in her sleep, which is possibly one of the best ways to go, but it is still terribly sad and it is hard to think I won't bump into her in Arundel Village ever again or see her at coffee with other Convent staff or at the Old Girls' reunion lunches. As one person put it, she always had a twinkle in her eye and she was always warm and friendly. I guess it's a reminder that we just never know when life will suddenly end either for ourselves or those we know and we should make the most of each day given to us. I have offered to go give a tribute at Convent for a memorial service for her on Friday morning. If anyone wants me to include something from them let me know and if you would like to speak if you're in Harare also let me know and I'll tell Mrs Smet.


No comments:

Post a Comment