Friday 9 February 2018

Je vous dis à la prochaine fois



God knows how we are fashioned, God remembers that we are dust.
The days of mortals are like grass; We flourish as the flowers of the field.
A wind passes over them and they are not more; And no one can recognize where they grew.
But adonai’s compassion is everlasting.

Well today was an admixture of Catholism, Shona tradition and Jewish rites of passage. I woke up early to get to school on time and had a strong cup of coffee. When I got to Convent I was met by Mr Mapaya, a wonderful man, who had done an amazing job setting up the hall for the service with flowers and beautiful photos of Cappy. That's when I first got a lump in my throat. The girls filed into the hall and they had a short hymn practice before mass - this is where I broke down. Singing the old familiar songs like "I have carried you on eagle's wings", "Yahweh I know you are near" and then the Kyrie Eleison which I well remember Cappy conducting us to sing from the piano. The school girls sang beautifully and my tears flowed. Managed to get a grip by time mass started and thankfully they had a microphone - I didn't really want to have to think about voice projection. Min'enhle Mguni was the other old girl to speak and then two upper sixes who were Cappy's last O level French class gave their memories and Mr Mapaya did too. I wish we could rewind to last week and have had Cappy sitting there to hear how valued she was and the deep love and respect people hold for her.



The service ran a little late so I ducked out after communion with the other teachers to get to Warren Hills on time. I got a lift with Madame McKenzie, Mrs Smet and Mrs Bourdillon. Luckily Madame McKenzie's husband drove and knew exactly where to go - I don' know that I would have found it on my own. We assembled in a small building where burial prayers were read, before the coffin was wheeled out to be buried. I haven't ever been to a graveside ceremony and the rawness of death and the return to the earth was hard hitting. Only the men are allowed to put three spade fulls of earth on the grave. I had read up a bit on Jewish funerals and there is quite a set way one grieves and releases the person you have lost. We noticed small pebbles placed on the other graves and I've found out that it is to show respect and to signify you have visited that person's grave. 



I went back to town with the daughter of Ms De Kok (spelling?), Miss Capelluto's great friend. We joined other Convent people at Alo Alo in Arundel as a wake. That was hard too as I think that's the last place I had properly spoken to Cappy at the Old Girls' lunch last year. Have said I will try make the Convent teacher coffee meet up more often. This has really brought home to me that you can't take for granted that you will see people again. Apparently Sr Gundula has just turned 80. These women were all such strong figures in my life and influential in shaping the person I have become.



Just had physio. Apparently I only need one more session. Had a deep meaningful conversation with my therapist on life while she did a lot of massage on my ankle which was a bit sore but she says I can slowly start back on full personal training but maybe first in the pool on Monday. Have two students this afternoon. Found a fun exercise for conjugating reflexive verbs in French for my Chinese ten year old on the Easter Bunny. I hope he enjoys it.




No comments:

Post a Comment