Tuesday 2 April 2019

It was a good thing I didn't sleep last night



I didn't sleep last night again, but it was just as well as it turned out, as our gardner phoned me in the early hours of the morning to say he had a high fever and could I bring tablets to bring it down. He seems to have bad diarrhoea - worried it might be cholera or typhoid but going to try get him to the clinic today and get him to just rest. Means we're busy boiling water and preparing rehydration fluids.



Yesterday I helped pack clothes for the relief effort for people affected by Cyclone Idai, at Highlands Presbyterian Church. It was a great experience and lots of good camaraderie between people of all walks of life and across races and religions. From there I went to try get petrol using a coupon we have for Puma, before the coupon expires. There has been an issue with the coupon as it was paid for with US dollars before the price of petrol went up but after a court case the garage eventually agreed to honour the volume it was for originally. Well I sat in that queue for four hours!!! People kept jumping the queue and I ended up squashed between cars in the bicycle track. I was supposed to have had personal training at 2.30 but by that point I was well and truly blocked in and couldn't get out and to top it, my phone died (couldn't tell my personal trainer what had happened but she kind of worked it out from my last Facebook post saying I was in a petrol queue). By that point I had also sat in the queue for so long I was reluctant to just give up and really needed to use the jolly coupon before it expires. I got to the front of the line and a fight broke out with people frustrated that the "legitimate" queue kept being sidelined for others jumping in. A government car then rocked up and wanted to butt in front of me. I was not pleased but wanted to just sink behind my steering wheel. The others in the queue were arguing on my behalf vehemently whilst the government dude threw an apoplectic fit about not being let through. It all thankfully ended OK and I was allowed through and my coupon was used but they only let me use one at a time - still have another two (groan).






Was supposed to have gone to an art class this morning but need to stay home and get our gardner to the clinic. Was also supposed to have met a friend for coffee. Will try do some sorting and clearing at home today.

No comments:

Post a Comment