Sunday 7 April 2019

A good Sunday - keeping busy



Went to watch The Favourite yesterday. Didn't realise it was not 2 but actually 3 jolly hours long - goodness me! I missed the birthday party. I can't say I would rave about it. It was pretty dark - the rabbits ... and other things. Olivia Colman did act well but it left a sour taste in my mouth and one of the incidents I really don't think was historical. Having said that I want to join The Film Society.

This morning I went to Harvest Church with my friend Di. I think I may have found where I would like to go (Warren it was a bit Christchurch Kenilworth-ish). They didn't put pressure on us as new comers and I actually knew quite a few people which was nice. The person who preached had an almost Trevor Noah sense of humour (I loved it. Incidentally I have just discovered Trevor Noah is on Netflix - awesome). In the notices a ladies' retreat was announced at the Hideaway and the cost was given in US dollars. He said it will be at rate of the day for other payments - whatever that will be then. He then dived into the topic for the coming weeks up to Easter of The Road to Golgotha. He said it was to get a more real meaning of the crucifixion and redemption. Easter is not about Easter eggs - which in Zimbabwe are now flipping expensive any way, so we won't be eating many.

51 When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem. 52 And he sent messengers ahead of him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make preparations for him. 53 But the people did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem. 54 And when his disciples James and John saw it, they said, “Lord, do you want us to tell fire to come down from heaven and consume them?”[e] 55 But he turned and rebuked them.[f] 56 And they went on to another village.


57 As they were going along the road, someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”58 And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.” 59 To another he said, “Follow me.” But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” 60 And Jesus[g] said to him, “Leave the dead to bury their own dead. But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.” 61 Yet another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.” 62 Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.”

Today's message was on Jesus setting his face towards the cross (Luke 9 vs 51-62). It also was on how we set our sight on heaven, where there are no more sorrows, shame and sickness. How we all have a personal journey to Golgotha in which we die to self and crucify things that are holding us back. We get comfort, peace and rest when we are in God's presence. It all spoke to me.

At the end of the service a friend invited me to join them and some others to go to Nyanga next weekend. Have managed to sort out for my mum to cover the night I am still house sitting. Will take my easel and canvases and go paint for Wild Geese. Not sure if oil or acrylic. Will see. It will be lovely to get away again.





I went to Reps for the quiz but joined a new team. We didn't do too badly and it was fun being with theatre people and one of my high school teachers and her daughter. Watched the tribute to Queen put on by Dance Avenue. It was excellent and there were definite Freddy Mercury-isms. The dancing made me nostalgic and remember when I used to be able to do some of those moves (some, not all). It was only an hour but a really great feel good show. Saw a colleague from work which was nice and she said they had missed me - aw! I miss them too and my students.



Just got back from going to see my high school English teacher. It was lovely to see her up and sitting in a chair today. She was more alert and able to follow what we said and had a bit of her naughty twinkle back in her eyes. We took her some chocolate and her face just lit up. I am still working on her arum lily picture.

Will be skyping friends in Germany just now and then possibly my sister. Need to think what I am going to do this week to keep busy. I should have a staff meeting and may go out to Tiri Vanhu (the mental rehabilitation home in Ruwa) with a friend. Otherwise might try go home and keep clearing stuff to make more space.


No comments:

Post a Comment