Wednesday 17 April 2019

Nyangaring, herding chickens and burning the house down



The trip to Nyanga over the weekend overall did me good. Went on lots of long walks, painted using my easel Matt made me and climbed Eagle's Nest. We also eventually found the dairy and had fresh scones with dairy cream (although my friend Ioana was alarmed that the dairy doesn't pasteurise their milk and told me about some of the diseases you can get, eeek). It did bring back memories of my last trip with Matt and I cried a little.




We passed through two "educational" police road blocks. They basically stopped us, asked if we knew how to drive safely and then said we could proceed. A bit pointless. Also noticed that the ED presidential campaign bill boards are being torn down. I think intentionally. We stopped at Halfway House midway and found the loos had been upgraded and my friend Cara's folks are doing a great job at turning it around and trying to get it back to what it once was. Definitely worth stopping.




Nosi who came with us is also a former Convent girl. She is blind but bravely came up Eagle's Nest with us which I found very humbling and I greatly admired how much trust she had in us to get her up and down. She very sweetly said that when she gets to heaven she will ask God to see my paintings.

Got back to immediately start my next house sitting gig. This particular job involves looking after chickens. I must say, I think I prefer dogs and cats. Chickens are hard work in some ways. Trying to get them into their coop last night just didn't happen. So far I have only spotted two in the garden this morning. Really hope number three is somewhere around. Otherwise I will just have to buy another one.



Met up with my special friend Pippa at Aroma this morning. Was lovely to see her again, but sadly had to cut things short as I got a frantic message from our next door neighbour saying she couldn't get hold of my mum and our gardner said something was burning in the kitchen. Thank God today is the day Given works at our house and not somewhere else. I had to hot foot it home and managed to get the burning pot outside and switch off the stove. It really could have burnt the house down though if it had been left. I think I still smell of smoke, but just so grateful to our neighbour, our gardner and another friend Vee for getting hold of me.

Hoping to see another friend, Suba, who is also out from England this afternoon. She is currently in a petrol queue. We nearly forgot our jerry can in Nyanga with an extra 20 litres in it. Thank goodness we didn't as we needed it on the way home. We did forget to take tea with us for the weekend - longest I have ever gone without a cuppa. Ooops.

No comments:

Post a Comment