Monday 8 April 2019

Singing but also grieving




Today was a less frenetic day. I did another search with Evermore the house keeper where I am house sitting, to try find the dratted rat but still no joy, even though the smell is ever so pungent. I went home for a bit and romped round the garden with my dogs (they really would find the offending rat very easily - they are very good at that, but getting them across here might be a tad chaotic). I sifted through some of my art work and picked out pieces I wouldn't mind framing. Found some pieces I had forgotten about and think I was in my prime when I did A Level and then art at Gallery Delta with Helen Lieros. Couple of pieces from later on under Peter Birch (he taught me oils) and then Sarah Fynn (she taught me how to have fun with abstraction and mixed media).



I went and picked up some canvases to take to Nyanga at the weekend and then went to try get info from National Parks on estimates on how many animals were poached in Zimbabwe last year. I am supposed to speak to teenagers in China this week on Skype and they asked for this information. Well I got shunted from one person to another at Parks as they were reluctant to divulge this. I know it is pretty broad and probably wouldn't cover the small organisms but at least for elephants, rhinos and pangolins, I thought they might have some idea. I ended up with someone in the Director General's office and she said I have to have an official letter with the school's letter head and explain exactly what I want this information for and the Director General may or may not consider offering data. I had contacted The Zambezi Society and Tikki Hywood Trust and they both suggested contacting Parks directly. Seems like very delicate stats.




After this I went to The Picture Frame on Churchill and got some quotes for framing - gulp, they were pretty expensive and I felt a bit intimidated and abash showing my art work. I am going to try get quotes from two other sources and compare. At this rate I might only frame one or two paintings a year and scrimp and save in between.

Had time to kill at St George's before choir started. This turned out to be not such a good thing. Being there reminded me a lot of Matt and going to mass there. I got a bit tearful and almost decided to just go home. Saw a school friend though and went to choir practice. They are rehearsing for concerts in about three weeks' time. I could possibly pick it up but the choir mistress said she only wants me to sing in it if I am 100% confident. I forgot I will be in Nyanga next Monday so I think I should opt out of the concert but the music they are singing is good and the conductor gives good technique tips. She said at one point to imagine you're in a magnificent cathedral and you are going to fill every space with harmony. I shared music with a lady who turned out to be an old family friend from when my mum and aunt lived in what was Umtali, now Mutare.

Singing this version of The Prayer.



Also singing the Nun's Chorus, which will forever remind me of singing with Miss Capelluto.


Will see what tomorrow holds. I have to take the lady downstairs in the flats I'm house sitting in to the airport first thing, then might go get framing quotes from Wechi and I have personal training - feeling my quads and hamstrings from last week still.

No comments:

Post a Comment