Saturday 10 March 2018

Determined, Kind People Can Often Follow Ghostly Screams



I met the Iranian Ambassador properly at the beginning of my bio lesson this afternoon. My student hadn't actually done classification yet at school but wanted to do it any way, so we did and then started on biodiversity and conservation. She didn't really know what causes global warming and climate change so I suggested she try and watch an Inconvenient Truth (the first one) and I will try find a simplified video for next time. She also found it hard to believe that seaweed and algae are not plants so I had to go into their biology and characteristics a bit to convince her. I am enjoying teaching bio again and the new syllabus is good, although a bit brief in description, so I am trying to get hold of a copy of the prescribed text book but new it is US$89 - a bit steep. Gave my student the mnemonic above to learn taxonomic categories.

An Inconvenient Truth


The sequel to An Inconvenient Truth.


Found this explanation but if anyone has other suggestions do let me know :)

The talk at Mukuvisi Woodlands was good this morning. It touched on restoration and adaptive management and the idea of rewilding in Europe before turning to bottom up versus top down processes in ecosystems and looking at elephant populations in Hwange. It was fascinating to hear that lions have moved from taking baby elephants to adolescent ones now and apparently prides can take down two teenage elephants a week! This doesn't really make a dent though on elephant populations.



Rushed home after to do my first online lesson with my five year old in China. In some ways it was like old times but half way through his usual screen fatigue set in and he was ready to switch his computer off. He amazed me by being able to work out how to annotate and draw on shared documents on Zoom and we were able to get him to practise writing and reading over it. He told me about visiting Hong Kong on the way home to China and going to a large aquarium there. I even had baby brother crawl over mid-lesson and say hi. I have another lesson with him tomorrow morning at 9 am. Will go see a friend in hospital after that and then go to the quiz at Reps Theatre. Need to rest up a bit tomorrow afternoon as I feel like I am on a serious deficit of caffeine and energy - the marking this week really took it out of me 😝 I am going to have to really see what tutoring I will be able to feasibly continue with when I am full time next term.





No comments:

Post a Comment