Thursday 1 March 2018

Do I have grandchildren?!



Got to school just in time today to do my take over day from the current part time teacher. It was quite a lot to take in with the routine and marking books and things. I also at the end of the morning suddenly got asked to take the swimming lesson - made the kids pair up and do widths and practise kicking. No snakes today - phew! For the two lessons I had prepared I learnt a bit in hindsight. The students loved the maths game - I must try include more of those from my NILD course and off pinterest and the TES.com website. Need to keep my instructions simple though for both maths and English and I need to plan for different abilities as some students whizzed through, while others really lagged behind. Probably should have an extra exercise in hand for those who are faster. The one student came up to me at the end of one lesson and in earnest asked if I had any children. When I said no, his immediate next question was did I have any grandchildren? Oh dear, teaching is ageing me that much!





Managed to meet up with a good friend at lunch. We met at the Village Greek in Sam Levy's Village and the food was really yummy. It's crazy though, on the same verandah there are three coffee shops all in a row and then further down there's Mugg and Bean. They were all patronised though. From there I had another interview and got offered a second job teaching at another home school for high school students. I think I will stick with the job I have been offered though but was nice to be headhunted.



This evening I had a whatsapp call with a really good friend in Cape Town which was lovely and I also heard from one of my best friends in Australia. The water situation in Cape Town does sound crazy. The Day Zero (when taps are predicted to run dry) has been pushed back to July but it depends on whether people adjust their water use habits. The farmers in the Cape have had to give up their water which will be a huge economic loss but it is a triage of deciding where the water should go. Although it is frightening, it is fascinating and sets a precedent for what other cities may well have to do in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment