Wednesday 7 March 2018

One report down, marking & lesson prep to go




Finally finished the one wetland report. Still have another one to do but now need to finish marking exam papers and prepare tomorrow's maths lesson. Yesterday at my new school the one teacher had to intervene in a playground squabble over who could go on the swing. The one child was refusing to get off so the teacher said she would count to ten and then it was someone else's turn. The child promptly replied that they could count to a hundred and nine! Um, that wasn't the point but so glad they could.



There was a huge python captured in Mount Pleasant yesterday. With the loss of wetlands, along with the heavy rains, I think we are likely to see more snakes in gardens. Just not eagerly anticipating them in our house and yard. I deal fairly well with spiders but snakes are not my favourite critters, I won't lie.



Dropping the friend I am house sitting for at the airport in an hour and will then take up residence cat sitting (I hope they don't bring me a snake!) If anyone is looking for a kitten there is a stray kitten that comes and gets food there that is looking for a home. I will go to a school friend's braai for a bit and then will have to do some more work.

Thinking about trying to set something up for people locally who can't afford medical aid but urgently need psychiatric treatment. I need to talk to my psychiatrist about what is already in place and what he would suggest but my heart does go out to people who just can't afford to be treated. I am lucky in that my medical aid does cover 6 psychiatric visits a year and if I have to be hospitalised but it doesn't cover therapy which is also important. I want to help those though who can't afford any of this and are in a really bad way. If anyone has suggestions or contacts please feel free to message me. Zimbabwe only has around 12 psychiatrists I think. Dixon Chibanda has created an amazing project called The Friendship Bench, but there is still a gap for those who really need medication or intervention.



On another topic, thinking of trying again at exhibiting at the Wild Geese Art Festival this year. I need to dig out my paintbrushes and canvases and get going. Once I get my next wetland report done. Got a whatsapp message (seems to still work in China) from my five year old's dad to say they are now settling in back home and will be in touch. There was a photo of my five year old all swaddled up against the cold. I do miss him.


No comments:

Post a Comment