Friday 30 March 2018

Good Friday


Yesterday only ended up teaching one student. We started going over the major themes and character development in Macbeth. Finally thanks to my friend Nina located a study guide for the book Spies. Need to go through it and see what we can work on from that these holidays. After teaching I went and had a cup of coffee at Alo Alo and it was nice to chill in their garden. Arundel suddenly became bustling at around 12 when schools ended and people started stockpiling for the holiday. Pick'N'Pay actually ran out of Easter eggs! Had personal training with a new instructor as my normal lady is busy preparing for her wedding next weekend. The new person pushed me to new levels. Had to balance doing a plank on weights and lift up my arms into rowing from that - goodness gracious me! Surprised myself in managing though. Bit sore today.



From there I went to my second attempt at seeing my psychiatrist for a check up (last time I gave up after waiting for an hour and a half and rescheduled). Well yesterday I walked in and there were only four people waiting compared to over ten last time. I thought I should be out fairly soon. Um no! Waited over two hours for what ended up being only a twenty minute consultation. It is times like this when I miss my previous doctor where I waited a maximum of ten minutes, sigh. Am reducing my lithium levels as I have developed hand tremors. Need to still up it though when I have PMT. I forgot to up it this last month and hit a low but apparently in future I can up the lithium if I hit a low. Spoke to my psych about helping people who are not on medical aid but need to see a psychiatrist to be prescribed medication. He had an idea of getting a psychiatric nurse at a clinic who can dispense medication and be overseen by psychiatrists. This sounds like a viable option. I need to contact ZIMNAMH (Zimbabwe National Association for Mental Health) and find a clinic that might be willing to come onboard with this. We could fundraise to help provide medication. So it's sounding promising and hopefully can help those who desperately need help and medication but just can't afford it.



Had a farewell braai for the two friends who got married recently last night, as they head back to Deutschland today. Laughed a lot and we sat round the fire afterwards and two other friends played the guitar and we sang (or tried to) along. At one point the almost full moon had a rainbow halo round it which was really cool.



My Chinese student in Xi'an doesn't obviously observe Easter so we soldier on with lessons this weekend, today and Easter Sunday. I have put together a lesson today though on Easter and Pesach (he should know a bit about Passover from going to Sharon, the Jewish school here in Harare). On Tuesday at my school one of the grade 7's dressed up as the Easter Bunny and went and hid Easter Eggs for the grade 1's and 2's. One little boy looked out the window and saw this and went and tapped his friend on the shoulder and said "You see I told you the Easter Bunny's real!"




SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment